Tips to Enjoy the Victoria Day Weekend in Your Motorhome
RV season is officially underway. The snow has gone and the warm weather we all love is coming back. Your RV has most likely gathered dust over the winter months, so, now is the perfect time to de-winterize and get back on the road. We are just a few weeks away from Victoria Day, so make the most of the upcoming long weekend with camping trips in your RV trailer or motorhome.
With the four-day weekend, many nature lovers will go camping around Grande Prairie, Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton and all over beautiful Alberta. If you plan to go camping in your RV, you want to make sure your trip is trouble-free. A few essential steps will ensure you enjoy camping without the hassle of RV repairs.
Essential DIY Steps to Prepare Your Motorhome for Summer Camping
● Examine the outer body: Unless your RV was parked indoors all winter, it makes sense to check for any damage from snow, sleet, hail, etc.
● Battery Testing: If you removed the battery to winterize your RV, make sure you reinstall it correctly. Check that all lights are working properly.
● De-winterize: Mix about 2 tbsp of baking soda with 5 gallons of water to flush out the antifreeze from your RV’s water system.
● Check for Leaks: One of the most common problems with RV’s after the winter is water leaks. Check all the caulking to make sure it didn’t crack due to the cold weather. If you have no hot water, check that all your bypass valves are open. If electricity runs through an empty water heater, you could end up with a burnt out element, or worse, an electrical fire.
● Drive out the Insects: Insects are attracted to the smell of propane, so you may find that nests and spider webs have accumulated in and around your RV’s appliances. Use a vacuum or air pressure to clean thoroughly.
● Test fire and smoke detectors: Safety is vital when camping! Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors within your RV. Take along a working fire extinguisher for emergencies.
We recommend you also have the following checked by professionals:
● Tire pressure
● An annual gas test of the propane system to ensure your safety
● And, keep in mind, that your bearings should be repacked every 5000 km.
Among the leading RV dealers in Alberta and BC, Happy Trails RV is one your one-stop shop for servicing motorhomes, travel vans, trailers and RVs. Book your RV maintenance service well ahead of the Victoria Day long weekend and follow these steps to maximize your RV camping experience. To get more information, call 780-538-2120 and get in touch with us today.